In today’s article I present my new camera, this is the Canon 77D. If you are looking for a new fatigue partner, I hope this post helps you clarify. Canon 77D arrived on the market in April this year and its place is being made. In my case, it has ended up being the substitute for my dear 450D who has accompanied me throughout these years. Warning: if you do not need a new camera, you should not read this or you will fall in love and start thinking about buying it . Outside of jokes, it is worth knowing her. In my case it was love at first sight, to see in yours .
Do you feel that your camera has become “small”? Have you been in photography for a while and your body asks for more? Do you need to take more steps but your camera lacks features? Do you like to share your images directly from the camera? Are you youtubers or blogger and do you record yourself? If you have answered yes one or more times, then this may be your camera.
It is a camera designed for advanced users, but for those who have small hands and / or do not want to carry a lot of weight on their backs. If what you like to have in your hands is a heavy and large machine, better check out the Canon 70D or the Nikon D7200 with similar features. This is a small and light camera. For some this may be an inconvenience, for me it was a decisive factor when deciding on it.
As I pray well in the title, it is a small but bully camera. By this I mean, that despite its appearance by size, it is a very complete machine and with a processor and sensor that carry more advanced cameras. Here I leave you with the characteristics of this super machine, so you can see everything that it is capable of doing (I am still discovering it!):
- Dimensions: 131.0 x 99.9 x 76.2 mm. Ideal for small or medium hands and with very good ergonomics thanks to its handle that allows a greater grip.
- Weight: Approx. 540 g (with card and battery). It is very, very light!
- 24 Megapixels approximately, which allows you to make quality extensions more or less of a size of 60 x 34 cm
- DIGIC 7 processor: or what is the same, a next-generation processor that offers very fast performance.
- Focus points: 45 and all in cross. They are many!! My camera before was 9 and I was enough …
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF Technology: Which translates into speed in photos and smoothness in videos. The Dual Pixel system achieves speed and accuracy of focus and tracking of the moving subject in the videos. It is also very effective in detecting faces, ideal for those who record self explanatory videos or similar.
- Integrated sensor cleaning system.
- LCD screen: 3 inches.
- Folding screen: you can rotate the screen to change perspectives without having to lie on the ground;). You can even record yourself while you see yourself.
- Touch screen: allows you to make adjustments from the screen, touch the focus point or pass the photos with your finger. Very comfortable.
- It Live View mode Live View : one of the features that I liked is this. You can see how the photo will look before shooting with the Live View option . As you make adjustments, you see how the image is modified until it is to your liking. Then you can shoot!
- Burst shot: 6 frames per second, so you don’t miss a gesture!
- Full HD 60p video recording : 4K technology has not yet reached this camera, for some it may be an inconvenience but two days ago Full HD 60P was the last shout. If you are not going to make professional videos and this is not your priority you will not notice the difference. It also works with an articulated screen and has an external microphone connector.
- ISO: 100-25600, allows shooting in very low light conditions. (On video up to 12800). I leave you several photos taken with different ISO values so you can see how it works with noise.
- Top screen to show the data of the shot, something that only the most advanced cameras usually offer.
- Battery life: approximately 600 shots.
- WiFi + NFC connection : Bluetooth connection with low power consumption with mobile devices. Download photos and control the camera from a smartphone or tablet.
- It has an upper DIAL to handle the speed and one at the rear to adjust the aperture. The latter is very easy to move by accident but just below it has a blocking tab that you can activate and problem solved.
- It includes a dedicated focus button (AF-ON) that allows you to lock the focus of a certain object in the scene and the camera does not have to refocus every time you shoot (you can take several photos in a row without the camera having to refocus, something useful in certain situations).
- Measuring modes: Evaluative, Partial, Punctual and Average with central preponderance.
- Exposure compensation: +/- 5 EV in increments of 1/3 or 1/2 step.
- Shutter speed: 30-1 / 4,000 s (in 1/2 or 1/3 dot increments), and Bulb mode.
- White balance: AWB (Ambience priority / white priority), Daylight, Shadow, Cloudy, Tungsten, White, white fluorescent, flash, custom. A personal configuration can be registered. White balance bracketing .
- Viewfinder: penta mirror.
- Shooting modes: Intelligent Auto Scene Mode (photo and video), No flash, Creative Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Close-ups, Sports, SCN (Portrait, Landscape, Close-ups, Night portrait, Night scene without tripod, HDR Control Backlight, Children, Food, Candlelight), Creative filters, Programmed AE, Shutter Priority AE, Aperture Priority AE, Manual (photo and video).
- Image styles: Auto, standard, portrait, landscape, fine detail, neutral, faithful, monochrome, 3 options to customize by the user.
- Integrated Intervalometer: Integrated, number of images selectable from 1 to 99 or unlimited. (I haven’t tried it yet but I’m looking forward to it). This helps you, for example, to make Timelapse or night photography .
- Live View Mode «Live View»: Coverage approximately 100%. Manual focus by touching anywhere on the screen. Real-time evaluation measurement with image sensor. Display options: Grid overlay (x3), Histogram, Electronic level.
- Maximum video duration: 29 min 59 s, maximum file size 4 GB.
- Metadata tag: Copyright information for the user (can be set in the camera). Image classification (from 0 to 5 stars).
- Display formats: (1) A photo with information (2 levels) (2) A photo (3) Index of 4 images (4) of 9 images (5) of 36 images (6) of 100 images (7) Jump in screen.
- Slideshow: Image selection: all images, by date, folder, videos, images. Play time: 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 20 seconds. Repeat: on / off. Background music: On, Off. Transition effect: Off, Slip 1, Slip 2, Fade 1, Fade 2, Fade 3.
- Creative filters: Black and white with grain, Soft focus, Fisheye effect, Oil effect, Watercolor effect, Toy camera effect, Miniature effect, HDR. Some examples
Undoubtedly the weight and size, the touch screen and folding, the system of focus and tracking of objects and the detection of faces. Also that his approach is very fast and precise.
Its menu is quite intuitive and connectivity is another point in its favor. Simply put in a “small package” you have a large photo and video camera.
Perhaps the most remarkable thing is that it can apparently have a plastic appearance reminiscent of beginner cameras and that is something that many do not like.
On the other hand, battery life is no big deal, although it is something that can be solved with extra batteries. Another drawback is that it does not record in 4k.
And perhaps, the biggest drawback is that it is within a range that may not apply. Many say that it lacks a zero in the name, since the nomenclature 77D would correspond to a semi-professional camera, although for that it would lack some details, such as a more robust and sealed body or a better optical viewfinder.
This camera has arrived with a bit of controversy for being in the middle of the 80D and 800D, many users do not understand very well the need for this product. Canon, meanwhile, will have found his motives and I personally mine. Yes there is a lot of offer, but also as many different needs as photographic users.
- If you compare it with the 80D which is the one above and it costs about 200 euros more: the 80D gains in shutter speed (it reaches up to 1/8000 and the 77D up to 1/4000), in burst speed 7 fps instead of 6, in pentaprism viewfinder, effective viewfinder enlargement and viewfinder field. At a disadvantage it has to weigh more and is larger, that it is somewhat older (although not much) and that its maximum ISO is 16,000 while in 77D it reaches 25600. The analyzes give them a very similar score. Everyone will see what interests them most.
- If you compare it with the 800D that it costs (price not available at this time) it seems that there are even less differences, in addition to the price (although the difference is very small) and the upper screen with the data of the shot. Maybe also that the 800D is a little smaller still. Something that now makes me think why I didn’t consider it at the time. Tip: look and look until your eyes hurt. Compare a lot and let some time rest the ideas that if you saturate yourself then you don’t think well. In a blacksmith’s house…;).
You can find only the body on Amazon for (price not available at this time)
The best thing to know if a camera convinces you or not is to see what kind of photographs you can take. Here I leave some that I have taken for you, as they have left the camera so you can see what she can do, that what Photoshop does we already know all (you can check it because I have not even corrected the crooked horizon, something that , if you follow the blog, you know that it is superior to my strength).