In recent times in which classes, meetings, conferences, meetings, etc,. They have been carried out mostly online, an element that has become practically essential in homes, offices and other businesses or small companies. We are talking about the ring of light.
In this guide I will help you find the best ring light for you. I will tell you what you should look at, how to choose and, of course, I will leave you with the best recommendations depending on the type of ring or its use.
WHAT IS A LIGHT RING AND WHAT IS IT FOR?
A ring light is a continuous ring-shaped light source used to illuminate the face evenly and softly. It can be used with the mobile, the tablet and/or placed on a tripod.
The continuous light, unlike a flash, is less powerful but stays on, it does not depend on the moment of the shot. For this reason it is ideal for the video format and videoconferences.
The ring or hoop shape distributes the light evenly, illuminating the face without abrupt shadows and with diffuse lighting that is very suitable for showing detail, while hiding marks and wrinkles. In addition, the reflection it causes in the eyes is circular in shape and is also very flattering.
The light ring format, traditionally, was associated within photography with very specific fields. It was used in macro photography with the ring flash; or in portraiture with the beauty dish, a specific type of lighting for fashion and beauty portraits that, due to its size and lack of portability, its use was restricted to studio photography.
In short, it was not something that was part of the accessories of all photographers.
However, nowadays its use has been democratized in an overwhelming way, because the needs of the users have changed, the prices are more affordable and the offer is much more diverse.
For all these reasons, the LED ring light has become a common accessory not only for photographers, but for anyone.
These are, currently, some of the uses of the ring of light :
- Profile photos for social networks
- product photos
- Portrait photography and selfies
- food photography
- macro photography
- Master class
- Online work meetings
- family video calls
- Beauty tutorials (hairdressing, makeup, etc.)
- makeup sessions
- content creation
- Videos for Youtube
If you can think of more, don't hesitate to leave it in the comments, you might enlighten someone by doing them a great favor ?.
HOW TO CHOOSE A GOOD RING LIGHT
These are the characteristics that you should look at when choosing the best ring light according to your needs:
- Diameter: it is the size of the hoop and you can find it in inches or centimeters. Depending on the use, you are interested in a larger or smaller ring. For example, if you are going to use it from very close it is convenient for you to be rather small, if you are going to use it at a greater distance placed on a tripod, it is better that it be larger. The smaller the outline, the less it will illuminate the outline and the more shadows it can cause. Keep in mind that the older you are, the heavier you will also be, so you should find the balance according to your needs. Think about whether you are going to use the light ring for TikTok, to put on makeup, to use it with a mobile phone or with a camera, etc.
|Up to 14″
and medium shots
and wide spaces
- Height: you should not only look at the size of the hoop, but also the height of the support, depending on whether you are going to place it on a table, on the floor, to record yourself standing or sitting.
- Temperature: light is not always neutral, it has a color temperature, which means that it gives off warm, neutral or cold light. Most of the light rings allow you to regulate it in different temperatures. Keep that in mind.
- Type of light: there are those with fluorescent or LED light. As a general rule, the ideal is to buy an LED ring, they are more efficient and durable. On the other hand, there are also RGB light rings, that is, with color. Not only does it allow you to switch between cool or warm, but you can experiment with more creative photos or videos (green, blue, red light, etc.).
- Power: The number of watts or Watts (W) measures electrical power. To see the amount of light that a ring emits you have to look at the lumens (or lux). Some allow you to regulate the intensity of the light, something highly recommended, especially when they are very powerful.
- Battery/current: check if it has a battery and how long it lasts, especially if you need it for long sessions. On the other hand, there are also cheap light rings that work with a mains cable, without a battery. This is a limitation or an advantage depending on the use you are going to give it.
- Accessories: The hoop may come with certain accessories, such as a tripod, remote shutter, remote control, diffuser, mirror, etc. Think about what accessories you may need and if you can buy them from the start with the kit, you will save yourself a second purchase.
WHAT ARE THE BEST BRANDS OF RING LIGHTS?
Having clear the above, it is easy for you to wonder about reference brands. Well, these are the best brands of light rings:
- K&F Concept
- roto light
BEST LIGHT RINGS
Taking into account the value for money and the different uses, these are what we consider to be the best led rings you can find right now:
PROFESSIONAL LIGHT RING
RING LIGHT WITH TRIPOD / TRIPOD WITH RING LIGHT
RGB RING LIGHT
RING LIGHT FOR MOBILE
LIGHT RING FOR TABLET AND LAPTOP
DESK RING LIGHT
BEST LIGHT RINGS FOR MOBILE
Remember that if you are going to use it with the phone in hand, the smallest size is best for you, one that attaches to the device with a clip, for example. For other uses consider the support.
Among these models, you will surely find the mobile light ring you need, whether you want it for tik tok, social networks, video calls, etc.
This is one of the most complete:
This other ring is quite cheap for what it includes:
The best seller at the moment is this, it will be for a reason ?
And the simplest and cheapest light ring for mobile is… ???
BEST LIGHT RINGS FOR TABLETS
These are the best LED ring lights you'll find for use with a tablet:
BEST LARGE LIGHT RINGS
In the event that you are looking for a large light ring, I recommend these:
BEST PROFESSIONAL LIGHT RINGS
When looking for a light ring for professional use, I recommend that you take a look at these:
BEST CHEAP LIGHT RINGS
If you are looking for a cheap light ring , these are my recommendations:
remote shutter release
HOW TO MOUNT A RING LIGHT
Each led ring has its own assembly instructions and is usually quite simple. However, I will leave you with some general instructions for mounting your ring light:
- The first step is to check that all the pieces are there before throwing away the packaging and the receipt, in case you have to make a return.
- If it comes with a tripod, unfold it and make sure it stands upright.
- Attach the hoop mount to the tripod mount.
- Next, attach the ring to this bracket.
- Check that everything is well adjusted and that the set is stable (a fall from a table can have a dramatic result ?).
- Connect the power to the mains and check that it works well.
HOW TO USE A RING LIGHT
How to use a ring light depends a lot on the use you are going to give it, however, here I leave you with some tips, surely some will help you.
- The usual thing is to place the camera in the center of the ring and that it is at eye level and centered. If you put it on one side it will not illuminate you homogeneously.
- Don't place it too far away, otherwise it won't give you enough light. The ideal distance is approximately the length of your arm.
- First adjust to a low or medium intensity and check the result by taking a photo or recording a video of a few seconds before starting the session, you can go up little by little depending on the light conditions.
- Choose the right color temperature at the moment. For example, if it is a work meeting, a cold tone is more appropriate. If it is for personal video calls, a warmer temperature can be more flattering and, above all, transmit more closeness. For a show of makeup, however, a neutral temperature is more suitable because it shows the true colors of the skin, while a cold temperature would highlight imperfections; although it would also show the details better so it would be suitable for the moment of putting on makeup.
- To avoid reflections in the glasses, change the inclination of the frame so that the reflection in the glass does not have so much prominence.
- If you are looking for creative effects for photography, experiment without fear. Turn off the lights and play with him, place him in different positions and practice the low key technique.
And we have reached the end, I hope I have helped you with all these rings of light, enough to find what you were looking for. I'm glad if I made it easy for you.