Do you think this article is not for you? Analog lenses in digital cameras? «Do not complicate my life», you will have thought … Wait, do not pass by, I will tell you my story, that it may resemble yours and I will show you how this article is for you, how we were wrong and how we are still in time to fix it ;-).
I remember perfectly the day I bought my first camera a lot of years ago. I remember the excitement of opening the box, unpacking it, assembling it with your kit objective . The illusion that made me new was infinite.
I didn’t know anything about photography, a few photos here and there with a manual Yashica from my mother that I loved to flirt with, but little else. Of course, I wanted a new camera and I bought the best I could afford for that one then.
When I learned a little more, I knew I was wrong. The second hand scared me when I started. Then I realized that it is a world to consider if you enter it with guarantees. My second camera (which I still have) was second-hand or third or fourth, an immortal analog camera that is still impeccable and indestructible . I follow the thread.
PHOTOGRAPHY IS A VERY EXPENSIVE HOBBY …
And when we dive into it, we usually do nothing more than invest without obtaining any kind of economic reward in return. Many of us will never even have it, so it can be frustrating.
The truth is that the world of second hand, provides us with a large window through which to leave when we close the door of the purchase, for example, of new material. Because of course, the more you know, the better you want your goals to be, don’t you?
Because now you have discovered that the trick is not in the camera but in the brightness of your lens and its optical quality. Now you don’t settle for “anything”, but you have also realized that good goals are unpayable … or not.
Or not, because if you immerse yourself in the world of second-hand analog or manual objectives you will be amazed at the wonders that circulate on the network for a few euros.
ADVANTAGES OF ANALOG OBJECTIVES
(I will speak in general, because exceptions are always on both sides of the scale ).
- Price: you can get authentic virguerías for ridiculous prices.
- Size: they are usually more compact and smaller objectives than the current ones.
- Construction: In general they are robust objectives constructed with resistant materials and of good quality.
- Image quality: They are very good built lenses and generally have very good image quality.
- They are usually very bright targets , or at least it is easy to find some that are.
- There is a lot of variety and analog lens marks.
- Creativity: The problem with new goals is that if we look for quality, our kidney suffers ;-). This means that many times we should give up having more than one goal and, obviously, this can affect our creativity. For the price of these lenses you will have endless emotion at good image quality .
DISADVANTAGES OF ANALOG OBJECTIVES
- The automatic connection between the camera and the lens is lost, that is: you must focus by hand and change the aperture of the diaphragm from the same lens by rotating the respective rings from the lens.
- Weight: they are not ultralight because they are made with heavier materials than are used today. (Although I think that robustness is usually a good sign when choosing a target ).
- They are not exempt from the risk that any second-hand purchase can have: poor general condition and even some scam.
WHERE TO ACQUIRE ANALOG OBJECTIVES
The buying and selling of second-hand objectives moves like almost everything today: online . And it is in the network where you can acquire, as a general rule, the best prices.
- Ebay: it is the most used platform for this type of sale.
- Second hand or similar pages.
- Stores specializing in second-hand photography: they tend to be more expensive but offer (or should) guarantee.
- Friends or family
- Forums: canonists, nikonists, manualens …
WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR WHEN PURCHASING AN ANALOG LENS FOR MY DIGITAL CAMERA
- If you buy online, look carefully at the product description before buying it, if you have a defect, you are required to indicate it in the description.
- Make sure the buyer has a very good rating from the other buyers.
- Scratches, lens fungus , dust inside must be avoided at all costs and check that the diaphragm closes gently.
HOW DO I ADAPT AN ANALOG LENS TO MY SLR CAMERA (OR EVIL)?
To attach an analog lens to an SLR camera, you will need an adapter ring.
You should look at the type of mount of your SLR camera and that of the lens you intend to acquire and look for the ring that is suitable for coupling both parts.
For example, the one I show below would be valid for Yashica or Contax analog lenses that you intend to attach to a Canon EOS camera with EF / EF-S mount. This one in particular you can find it on Amazon for (price not available at this time) , although in other portals you can find them even cheaper (only that we trust Amazon more ).
In addition to the most basic ring for compatibility between the ring and the mount of your camera, you can find some that, although they do not allow you to electronically connect the lens and body of the camera, present a focus aid through a small sensor located in the adapter
Thanks to this sensor, you will be able to know when what you have decided to focus on is, but that does not mean you should do it manually . However, this system can be of great help.
SHOULD BOTH BE OF THE SAME BRAND?
Best of all, no ;-). This opens up a range of infinite possibilities with great old brands such as Carl Zeiss, Leica, Voitglander, and so on. Moreover, do not trust because sometimes they are of the same brand does not mean that they are compatible.
Don’t tell me your curiosity doesn’t bite you ;-). I would give you a chance, because for very little money you can do with real wonders, with mythical goals or with those you’ve been dreaming since you started but you could not afford. You can enjoy the king of the objectives or the prince for less than 100 euros and I assure you that one of these will change the way you see and take pictures :-).
I hope you found this article useful. If so, share it so that it reaches someone else who may be interested in expanding your photographic equipment at a low price . Thank you and see you next time.